Renewable Energy Project Development Office plans to issue a prequalification request for Yanbu wind project in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia’s Renewable Energy Project Development Office (Repdo) could issue the request for prequalification (RFQ) for its second planned wind independent power project (IPP) in the second half of the year. MEED understands Repdo plans to tender the Yanbu wind IPP ahead of several planned wind IPPs in Saudi Arabia. Sources familiar with the scheme tell MEED Repdo and its consultants are still discussing the final capacity of the Yanbu wind scheme. The planned Yanbu wind IPP with a capacity of 850MW was initially included in the third round of the National Renewable Energy Programme (NREP). However, the project was excluded when Repdo issued an RFQ for the third round earlier this year. Repdo tendered and awarded the first wind project, the 400MW Dumat al-Jandal IPP, under the first round. Round three Repdo expects to receive proposals for the category B and category A projects under NREP’s round three on 23 September and 7 October respectively. The four projects under the third round are:

  • Al-Rass solar PV: 700MW (category B)
  • Saad solar PV: 300MW (category B)
  • Wadi al-Dawasir solar PV: 120MW (category A)
  • Layla solar PV: 80MW  (category A)

In 2019, Riyadh ramped up its clean energy goal to target 27.3GW by 2024 and 58.7GW by 2030, superseding the previous 9.5GW by 2023 target. Repdo will oversee the development of 30% of this ambitious target through competitive tendering. The Public Investment Fund (PIF) is expected to appoint developers through direct negotiations for the remaining 70% Source: